Time & Location
About the Event
5 Days is a national campaign run by the Canadian Association of Business Students that strives to raise awareness and donations for members of society that are at risk of or experiencing homelessness.
All is done with the goal of sensitizing and educating the public on one of the major problems in this country. Donations raised are given to local shelters and programs to support their services within the community.
The Dalhousie Commerce Society will be partnering with Phoenix Youth Centres in Halifax for the sixth year in a row!
We would love for students to support the DCS & 5 Days through joining us as a volunteer, or as a sleeper for one or multiple nights during March 24-29. If you are considering volunteering or sleeping out - please Register for this event and indicate which you are interested in.
- Remain on campus for five days. The campaign begins in the morning on the Sunday of the campaign week and ends in the morning on the Friday.
- Have no income. 100% of the funds donated to individual campaigns are passed on to their choice of local homeless youth organization.
- Have no food or drinks. Food can only be received through direct donations, and all non-perishable food must be kept and used as a donation for a shelter.
- Have only a pillow and a sleeping bag.
- Have no access to showers, or facilities to which their student status would usually grant them access. Washrooms can only be accessed when campus buildings are open.
- Sleep outside. The only exception is if inclement weather becomes a health risk.
- Attend all classes. Participants will complete all academic and extra curricular responsibilities, including student organizations and teaching positions.
- Avoid personal communication media. Participants will be expected to not use cell phone or online social networking websites (Facebook, etc.) during the 5 Days campaign, except for the purposes of promoting the campaign.
- Write about or film their experiences through an online blog.
An idea of some tasks you may be helping with as a volunteer are:
- Collecting supplies for the event
- Promoting Phoenix and 5 Days around campus
- Helping out at our kickoff event